Thursday, September 20, 2012

Glory

Today is day 21, P#180 of Haiku Heights. "Glory".



Merdeka the Call

Shouts were heard on the Padang

That Night of Glory



The Crowd was frenzy

We were proud to see our flag

Rising high slowly



On Selangor Padang

We waited for the moment

Of Independence




I was at my grand-mother's house listening to Radio Malaya where I heard my Uncle's voice giving an emotional commentary on the flag-raising ceremony as the clock struck twelve midnite 31st August 1957. It was a historic moment I shall never forget.

2 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
Great haiku set. There's even some rhyming that makes for more fun. Whose the Uncle by the way.

Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

It was my late uncle Hashim Amir Hamzah. He was not supposed to be the commentator on duty, but he took over from his colleague who fell sick on that day.