Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lair or Liar

A fellow Old Putera (that's the term used to describe members of the RMC Old Boys Association) commented after reading my blog that some might misread "Lair" as "Liar" because of their less than proficient command of the English Language. He also added that if my blog touch upon the political scenario of the moment, then I would attract more visitors.Incidentally, I replied to him that I started the blog because I was suffering from a bout of insomnia and my daughter gave the title so I just continued with it. Furthermore I said, I do not relish being associated with politics because I am no admirer of politicians after having been in public service for 38 years and knew their tendencies to become perfect "liars" when it served their interest. You could count with your fingers how many would remain truthful till they take their exits. Short of bragging, I have served a few who later became PM and also an Ex-DPM who resigned because of "Irreconcilable differences" in styles of governance with his supremo. I found to my consternation that they would buckle under threat from minions who had clout at the grassroots. At one meeting with a registered association, their President blatantly blackmail the then Minister who later became DPM by saying that if the Minister doesn't accede to their demands for their retention at the State level offices due to the proposed reorganisation then they would against him in his fight for the top post of the leading political party in the ruling coalition. He then sheepishly relented and promised not to remove their posts from their current positions when the reorganisation took place. From there I had no respect for politicians because their political interest superseded their sworn duty to uphold the Federal Constitution by sacrificing public good to safeguard his political interest. My stand as a public servant who carried out my duties without fear or favour made me unpopular with politicians because almost all and without exception were charlatans and public interest is not in their vocabulary. I could not be pressurised to do things which were irregular and desisted demands which were unlawful and ask them to put their dhoby mark should they insisted. So, when you have such a reputation it was in their interests to avoid having me as their top civil servant. It's sheer pity that the calibre of people manning the upper echelons of the civil service nowadays is really wanting because mostly serve with fear hoping for favour. So, my OP friend is right, you must be a liar in order to be popular and if you are honest and upright, you have no place in politics or the administration. My apologies to those who are unduly offended by my tone of writing since I am fond of calling a spade a spade.

6 comments:

TriStupe said...

I'm with you tuan. A spade is a spade. very much like how i admit that i'm cina mualaf. :)

abdulhalimshah said...

OP Stupe,
It doesn't really matter what is on the outside. God knows what's in your heart and that's what mattered.
When the Day of Reckoning comes, we will all be judged accordingly not by your status but by your deeds.

~ayoi~ said...

As much other people would love to read on certain topics, I guess you have your interest when it comes to writing too. But I must've admit I do enjoy your piece of work around here.

What really matter is what you have deep inside.

OP Azrul 9094G

nue said...

Sorry Abah. Didn't mean to mislead people into thinking that your blog had the word liar. Wasn't expecting you to actually get into the habit of blogging. hahahahah

abdulhalimshah said...

Actually it was an unintended pun on the part of my fellow OP the Mariner who left his AOP{Abode of Peace-meaning BRUNEI!) after his contract ended and now he's with Maritime Institute of Malaysia, no more "Popeye the Sailor" but shuffling tables and chairs to make sure the attendees can hear what his Director had to yarn.
Now he has more than he can handle as he began to ponder why they elected him as a Committee Member of OPA for two years.

Husni aka Tuni said...

Liar = Wild = Wild Monkeys = Pak Lah administration