Monday, June 02, 2008

Trip to Kuantan

Last week, on Tuesday 27 May 2008 my family comprising wife Nasimah, daughter Nurul, son Hasnul and his family of four drove in separate cars to Kuantan using the East-coast highway. We stopped at the Temerloh rest area and I confirmed with Hasnul that we'll exit at the last stop of the East-coast highway. So I was quite confident to exit at the last section which had signs of going to the Kuantan Port, without realising that the last exit was only recently opened and Hasnul was not aware of it. When I saw the milestone shows only the kilometre distance to Kemaman, I felt rather uneasy whether I had taken the right turning. So when I saw the signboard to Kuantan Port, we took that turning and it was actually a backtracking trip heading towards Kuantan after having to navigate the Gebeng Industrial area and exiting on the Kuantan bypass to go to Semambu and then to Telok Chempedak. So, instead of arriving in two and the half hours, it took more than three hours. I find that the signage is of not much help, and this is typical of Malaysian roads. The people who put up the signs don't think of the outstation drivers, but they only see it from the viewpoint of the locals. So much for people who put up road furniture, things have not changed much from my days of working in the Works Ministry from 1988 to 1992. The beach Hotel where we stayed have not changed much either, except that now the car-park is operated on a gated entry basis and the parking charges are levied. Fortunately for hotel guests, the charges are waived. One of the most glaring shortcoming of the Telok Chempedak beach now is the effects of coastal erosion. This happened to the Batu Buruk beach in Kuala Terengganu, until something was done to improve it. Unless the beach in Telok Chempedak is rehabilitated, then soon it would be an attractive place anymore. My family, especially my grandchildren spent a wonderful time together and this is one memorable holiday which is cherished for a long time.

1 comment:

maarofkassim said...

Tuan Haji,

I went to Kuantan too on 31st May 2008. The next day I went Kuala Terengganu. I was trying to go through the Jerangau - Jabor road but ended going through the coastal road due the confusing road signs at the large roundabout connecting the East Coast Highway, Kuantan and Terengganu.

On the way back I used the Jerangau - Jabor road and almost got lost again at the same big roundabout.

The authorities should do something about the road signs.