Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A Spiritual Journey; Umrah.

Many things have different meanings to people and performing the lesser Haj or "Umrah" is one of them. The thought of performing the Umrah came about when I was looking at the fares for a return flight to UK and ask myself why should I spend that money for a journey which I have been many times before and why not spend it on a spiritual journey which is of much greater significance. Actually however one look at it, the journey to perform the lesser Haj is challenging especially at this time of the year where it's very hot because it's summer and Makkah is again undergoing a lot of construction work adjacent to the Grand Mosque or Al-Haram. Nevertheless, I have planned for it since very early this year and made the enquiries with Tabung Haji Travel Services Sdn Bhd, the subsidiary of Tabung Haji. This time my wife Nasimah and I will be accompanied by Nurul my daughter and Haniff my youngest son. My sister-in-law Naida will be in my group too. I hope to renew my soul by performing the Umrah and refresh my commitment to be a better Muslim always. Our journey in this world is only transient and the ultimate is the hereafter. So I hope this time the journey of the heart will be profoundly meaningful because the purity of the mind begins with cleansing the heart which is a constant struggle till one leave's this mundane life forever.

No comments: