Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Morning before Election Day 2008

This morning I was surprised that traffic was relatively light and I thought it was a holiday. Then I remembered perhaps many people have taken leave and go back to their respective hometowns to vote tomorrow. But I might be wrong, when I realised that most schools are closed today in order to prepare for tomorrow's election as they are gazetted as polling stations, therefore less traffic because parents or grandparents don't have to rush sending their children and grandchildren to schools. As I was driving and looked at the string of election posters, some of which have been damaged by the inclement weather the week and before, I seemed to feel in the air that a lot of seats might go to the opposition this time. Even Tun Dr. M is quoted to have allegedly said during an interview at the Perdana Leadership foundation in Putrajaya that vote for more opposition. I wonder whether he really meant it, because sometimes his words have double meanings. But not this time, because he has been an ardent critic of Pak Lah's leadership and of course he would like to see his ramblings be vindicated. So tomorrow I will definitely go and vote, and I will vote according to my conscience. I have always maintained that for a healthy democracy to function there must be a credible opposition. But the opposition must be constructive and not destructive. In our march towards an ethical and accountable government, the leaders must have zero tolerance to corruption which is becoming cancerous now. What we want is a truly an incorruptible government because only then our development will be fairly enjoyed by all regardless of their political affiliations , race, colour, creed or religion.

No comments: