Saturday, March 08, 2008

Democracy triumphs in Malaysia

Last night I stayed up late to watch the Election 2008 results being announced over the TV network. What surprised me was the lateness of the announcement by the Election Commission as which party would form the next government at the Federal level. In the past few elections, the announcement would be made by midnight, but this time it only came around 1.00 am. But what surprised me most was that Penang was won by DAP and PKR, almost a clean sweep. This morning Lim Guan Eng of the DAP was on TV saying that he would form the new State Government. I never expected Perak and Kedah as well as Selangor to go to the Opposition. This is history in the making. I wish this success by the Opposition will be managed with care and responsibility.

No comments: