Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wedding Feasts

It is the norm that when the school is closed for the long holiday at the end of the year, I receive a good number of invitations and sometimes I have to it a miss owing to the clash with some other important commitment.
But there is one which shall remain in my memory because I almost go to the wrong one due to the close proximity.
My classmate during my schooldays in KGV Seremban invited me to his son's wedding feast which was held in an open field right in front of his late mother's house. I would normally come early especially during this rainy spell. However I found that many had the same idea and what made it worse there was an IT festival held at the Sports complex nearby which made the road to his house very congested. I parked my car at quite a distance and walked to his function.
As I was walking towards the rows of tents near the house, I realised that they are not situated at the open space but smack in front of the terrace houses. My son called me and said "Abah, you going to a different person's function" and pointed out to the sign which showed a different name. My wife also laughed at my mistake,which was averted in time.
When I arrived at the friend's function I related the story to my sister who was there earlier helping out the host. Otherwise I would have wondered why the faces of the hosts looked different. Then I later learned that they were supposed to have the feast not at the same time to avoid the confusion because of the close proximity but somehow the neighbour decided to have it at the same time so as to avoid the rainy spell.

8 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
It happened once during my son's wedding at the Merak Kayangan.A couple came shook hands with us,handed their present to the reception and took their seat. The next minute they came out took their preset back and dashed to the Perdana nearby where they were supposed to go! Can happen anywhere!

Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank,
I was informed of a case whereby the guest only realised it after he had his fill and then went on to the correct one. One day before the function which I hosted, a friend phoned me why the hall was empty and when told he was a day earlier, he just could not believe it. That's the importance of marking the event on a calendar.

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
I want to emulate your 'Rambutan'. I've been snapping on my jambu, papaya,red palm and mango trees in S'ban. I should be able to create at least 5 postings with these. Suddenly I'm aware even the kitchen have chillies and other vege to help. We need not write serious verses but 'kiasan' that floats. We can increase the arsenal this way to make more postings.

Hank

Al-Manar said...

I truly believe we are all welcome to a stranger's wedding. The hosts are not likely to frown at us. On such a joyous occasion even a stranger is welcome, a typical Malay hospitality. The embarrassing part is if we have to retrieve a gift once handed over.

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank and PakCik,
I am quite amused by what PakCik says about having to retrieve the present. Nowadays most guests would put the gift in small packets which we used for giving Hari Raya money and hand it over to the host on arrival. So if the mistake is discovered after the fill, the guest have to forego it and make a quick hunt for anything that could serve as the packet to put the gift.
I am in full agreement with regard to the many things that we have around us as the subject for inspiration, Hank. And it encourages us to be more aware of our little Blessings.

homegardensanctuary said...

Dato asalamualaikum ni Fauziah bachik, ingat tak? I am retired the second year this year , in fact 7 months earlier as i was fed up with the present culture which ask u to stop thinking ... i ran into your comments when i went into dato mohd nor ghani's blog norzah, dato going into the wrong tent is not as bad as getting the dates all mixed up only to realize u are at the wrong wedding when the pengantin do not look familiar at all ...oooopsss... U gave the packet already and lucky u saw the pengantin on the dias ! So slowly lah walk yourself out ... I do write also my blog homegardensanctuary.blogspot.com kalau dato freebjengah lah i write on reflections of my experiences ..i will follow your blog ..sorry to communicate here on your blog but where else nowadays ! Dfb

homegardensanctuary said...

Dato halim. Ni fauziah bachik , remember me i would like to comment on your blog i baca need approval. Kindly reply to fbfauziah@gmail.com

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Fauziah,
Of course I remember you. I met you last at a dinner given by SPA when I was still a Member, and if I am not mistaken it was in Langkawi.
Btw, I am also on Facebook.Just type out my name Abdul Halim Shah and invite me as a friend. I do not have a title in front of my name as I did not earn it.