Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Silat, The Malay art of Self Defence

I learned the Silat which is a form of an art of self-defence from an exponent in the sixties when I was a student. My teacher was then working at Rasah Camp which was started by the British and handed over to the Malaysian armed forces upon independence. At that time I was staying at the government quarters in Channer Road, Seremban. I still continued the lessons when my father was transferred to Port Dickson.

However I stopped attending the lessons after completion of the training and deemed to have graduated and was given a token in the form of "Wafak" which should be worn when necessary. The Silat which is taught by my Guru, who died more than twenty years ago had many followers, and I was informed even Tan Sri Sanusi Junid was also one of the students when he was working in the Standard Chartered Bank in Seremban then.

As time passed by I lost touch with the movements and had forgotten the art, until recently when I was told by an ustaz that what I had learned was good to serve a certain purpose before, but the consequences of the action would only be seen in the detrimental effects whom one does not realise till much later. Thus I had to do something about it and had to perform certain things in order to severe the pact which the Guru might not have done unconsciously. This is something which is I did not expect rather late in my life whereby I had to perform a sort of " cleansing" process in order to break the pact and thus freeing myself from undesirable influences of the supernatural forces. The lesson derived here ought to remind others that a strength can be a weakness over a period of time and one must always be on guard and avoid the unnecessary complications very much in later life.

2 comments:

norzah said...

Is it true that you must break the pact made on graduation from a silat guru, if you no longer practise the teaching, Akhi? I also graduated from such a teaching and was awarded a 'selempang' which i have misplaced. Is it not enough to just offer a doa for him to honor his memory?

abdulhalimshah said...

Akhi,
It all depends on the type of ilmu Silat that you follow, there may be certain MOU that the Guru made but did not tell or if you did not ask he is not obliged to inform and thus the effects can only be told by another person who 'scans' it. I had to perform the process due to some extenuating circumstances involving my father,and I stumbled upon it by default.