Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lekas, Lokeh or Lekeh

I had written earlier about Lekas Highway as shown above and found it quite a pleasant experience driving along it. Although the journey from my house is longer, about 91 kilometres to reach my sister's house in Taman Sri Telawi in Paroi, but the time taken is the same if I take the PLUS highway on a normal weekday.

The term "lokeh" is the Negri dialect for "Lekas" and from my observation, it is not faster to take this highway as compared to the PLUS highway. So probably the way I see it being underutilised would one day make it "Lekeh" meaning insignificant or being looked down upon, since I found very few vehicles using it. One of the reasons for this is perhaps the entry points to join the highway is not convenient or confusing to many drivers, especially those who are from the north going south. I suppose the concession holders found it hard to make ends meet and thus had insufficient funds for promotion.

If the traffic on Lekas is not going to pick up within a reasonable time, it could suffer the same fate as Seremban-PD highway where the government had to take over the operations from the previous concession holder.If that were to happen, then my coining of the term "Lekeh Highway" would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

9 comments:

norzah said...

For nowthe Lekas highway is certainly underused. One reason perhaps is that the entry point in Cheras is not conspicuous enough and, as you said, confusing. Two. the travel can be lonely if you're traveling alone. But with a SWT (sweet young thing - in memory of the late Uncle Tan), the travel can be very romantic. In years to come I'm sure it'll become as crowded as the PLUS hgway. Frankly, Bro, the latter can sometimes make us LOMEH, hehehe. If the choice is between LOMEH and LOKEH, i wonder which one you' take.

maarofkassim said...

Tuan Haji,

I agree with Norzah. Since I am staying between Temiang and Sikamat and since their opening, LEKAS had become my gateway to the Klang Valley. If I use PLUS I got LOMEH just to get there from my house. I can use the Seremban Ring Road to get to PLUS but it is a long way round.
I think with the completion of the Ampangan - Paroi stretch LEKAS will boom.
Now I see fewer vehicles passing through Seremban town itself, thus less congestion. This is due to LEKAS and the ring road.

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Akhi Norzah and Tn Haji,

If I have to make a choice, I still prefer LOKEH rather than LOMEH because I want to avoid from being " kono LAPON ", I think Akhi you know better from whom.
Tuan Haji Maarof is right, if the highway is opened right up to Paroi junction, then most of the traffic from Kuala Pilah and Keratong will easily enter it. Hopefully it will be opened by end of Ramadhan 1431 Hijrah for " Anak anak Kuala Pilah " to go back to Kampung for "Bantai", he he he.

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
I really can't comment as I hav as yet to use the h'way. The only thing I found strange to say is 'lokeh' I always thought it was 'doreh'

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank,
Both terms carry almost the same message. The term "Lokeh" is used by a blogger "Tireless Mom". Akhi Norzah drew my attention to her blog.

norzah said...

Akhi Hal and Hank, lokeh is the NS version of Lekas while Doreh is for Deras. Istilah-istilah lain yang sama makna termasuklah Copek for cepat, mencipan, mencelinap dll. Salam.

abdulhalimshah said...

اخى,شكران٠

I am trying out your suggestion.
Thanks.

norzah said...

انت تظفر والظفر مفرح يا اخي.
(anta tadzafaru wa dzafaru mufrihun ya akhi), I won't give you the translation, ya akhi, but it has to do with your success with the arabic letters, hehehe.

norzah said...

Ya Akhi, kenapa dah lama senyap je? Pergi bercuti ke?
All the best. Salam.