Sunday, April 29, 2012

Muar, the pensioner's town

                                            Muar Town in the Foreground


On the friday of 20 April 2012, I drove to Muar, leaving my house at 3.00 pm in the midst of the falling rain, hoping to reach the town before the Asar prayer time ends. Luckily the rain stopped by the time I reach the Nilai interchange on the North-South highway and I stopped for a short break at the Pedas-Linggi lay-by. I was hoping to meet up with my sister who was in another car which left Ampang Indah at around 3.30 pm somewhere along the rest area before the Tangkak exit, but since she was late due to the heavy rain, I took off straight to Muar trying to locate the hotel where we would be staying.
               Nasimah and Haniff were with me in the car as we cruise down the highway to Muar because we were to attend the wedding reception of my niece at Parit Punggur the next day 21 April 2012. Since I have not been to Muar since my last visit in 1999, I was not too sure whether I can find my way to the hotel. Fortunately a kind soul whom I met when I stopped at a Petrol station to ask for directions to the hotel willingly showed me the way and I followed him as he guided me on his motor-cycle. He refused to take a tip which I gave him and I am glad that the good old values still remain in this town which is dubbed by some as the Pensioner's town. By and large, Muar is quite a busy town and there still many old buildings apart from the new shopping complexes that defied its reputation.
  By 6.30 pm, my sister and all the others arrived at the hotel and we were glad that a last minute change of hotels was a right decision because the hotel is quite new as compared to the one booked earlier. The hotel where we stayed is right in the town centre on Jalan Ali. At night all of us went for dinner at a restaurant in Tanjong Emas, by the Muar river. The next day started with a morning rain and it stopped by about 10.00 am. It was a good thing as it cooled the otherwise hot weather. It was my first time attending a wedding in Muar and we spent an enjoyable day before departing at 3.30 pm heading for Seremban where I spent the night at my other sister's house in Taman Seri Telawi in Paroi.

3 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
I had some indication of this visit. We were at OP Zam's function at Merak Kayangan on the April 21st night. OP Zam said you were in Muar.

Hank

Al-Manar said...

Tentu sekali bandar Muar sudah banyak berubak sebagaimana bandar2 lain di Malaysia. Kali penghabisan sya kesana dah tentu lebih kurang 30 tahun yang lalu.

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank and Pak Cik,
Akbar too phoned me that evening and asked him to convey my regards to Zam.
Pakcik, indeed you are right. I could not recognize the office which I visited in 1999 just near the hotel. It is now a busy junction, unlike then.