Friday, September 16, 2011

Giving Haiku A Try

A few days ago, my dear friend who went with me to the OPA Penthouse last buka Puasa whom we call Hank (after Hank Marvin) called to impress upon me to try writing poems again. I tried writing a few poems before also with him encouraging me, but I stopped after I was preoccupied with attending to my late father then in Seremban.
Knowing how difficult to start again in writing poems, he suggested that I try Haiku which is a very short Japanese poem consisting only three lines So here is my first response to Hank's persistent urgings:-
I welcome the morning sunshine
With a bright soothing ray
And pretty butterflies flitting in the garden
From my readings on Haiku which Hank asked me to search on Google, I find it more complicated compared to writing it. But one thing which I register well is that it is closely intertwined with our observation of nature around us, and that is what I have attempted.

7 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
Great start! There are exceptions but it is better to stick to the traditional 5-7-5 format. We’ll do a bit of footwork here to adapt to it. Let us see! This is a suggestion:

Welcome the morning (5 syllables)
Sunshine with bright soothing rays (7)
Butterflies flitting (5)
See, it’s a great haiku! If you read it out aloud you’ll get what I mean. It has to do with nature being one of the elements of haiku, too! It can well match from those other seasoned bloggers!
Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank,
My profuse thanks for your comment and now I understand it better than reading it in Google. You have given me an impetus in trying some more.

Al-Manar said...

My, my!Hal has gone haiku! Keep at it and the two of you will produce a book, a collection of Haiku in duet.

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
Go to Haiku Heights and read Nanka's haiku. She writes only 3 lines each time but give profound messages!

Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear PakCik and Hank,
I am a novice at this PakCik unlike Hank who is already in the big league.
Have been to what you suggested. Waiting for inspiration.

norzah said...

May i suggest you look into the inexhaustable imageries found in the al-quran for inspiration. Akhi, beside the bounties of nature whch are also allah's creation. I love poetry icluding Haikus and pantoons ( French version) but they don't quite satisfy my hunger for self-expression. You seem to doing great under Akhi Hanks spirited guruship. I hope you and Akhi Hank will produce that book of poetry Akhi Pakcik Hassan alluded to.

abdulhalimshah said...

Akhi Norzah,
My gratitude for your suggestion which is indeed the truth. InshaALLAH I shall do it. Jazakallah Khairan.