Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Taking Care of the Elderly

We have been told many a times that it is the Asian value to care for our elderly parents especially when they are infirmed and senile and the term bandied about is filial piety.

But recently there have been a number of incidents reported in the Press where parents or one of them have been left on their own either to roam the streets or placed in the Old Folks home without bothering to visit them or seeing them even on festive days. Even in my neighbourhood of the so-called elegant satellite city to the Federal capital there is a mushrooming of nursing homes and centres for abandoned old folks run by individuals or charities.

Last week I went to visit a close relative at a privately run centre for the elderly and the infirmed about half an hour drive from my house. I only came to know about his presence at this particular home by chance, when I met his brother-in-law at a wedding function in Taman Tun Dr. Ismail.

Before going I enquired from the owner of the centre where the place is and when can I pay a visit. The good lady answered me giving the directions from my house and said that I can pay a visit at any time. I took along my 90 year old father and my family one fine morning to visit the place because he had not seen my uncle ( cousin to my dad) for many many years. Upon reaching the centre, I took out the wheelchair from the car boot and gave it to my sister for her to wheel my dad up the slight slope to the centre. While I was parking the car, one of the centre's helper opened the gate and allowed my wife and sister with my father being wheeled into the house. When I entered the house after them, I found my uncle seated on a sofa and I could not recognise him initially. He is so frail and looked very different when I last saw him several years back. He could not talk and he could not recognise any of us. The helper told us that he could not even recognise any of his siblings except for the youngest sister of his.

Instinctively my tears were shed when I went to inspect his room where a bedridden inmate is placed next to my uncle's bed. I stroke the person's head and he lay there as helpless as a baby, complete with diapers and unable to speak a word. It was such a pitiful sight and I prayed that I would not live to such a situation, God Willing.

We were told by the helper that ' Tok Misai ' the nickname given to my uncle, his condition is such that he suffered insomnia and he fell a few times at his house in Seremban which needed a few stitches and probably contributed to the hapless situation where no one could take care of him anymore. I was informed that his wife is now with her daughter and she is also not in good health.

We spent about two hours trying to relate to him but to no avail, though he smiled when I told him that we are from the same roots, ' Tambusai' because he was the first pro-tem Chairman of our family association called ' BERKAT' as the acronym. The last time I met him, we could talk about the activities of the Association and he was happy that it was still running after its formal inception in 2002. I then assumed the post of the President for two terms and I resigned voluntarily a few months before the end of my term for personal reasons.

I told my father that God Willing he would not be send to such a centre no matter how well run the place is, because I have a responsibility and duty to take care of him till his last days. And I pray that I would not have to be an inmate of such a centre because all the faces whom I saw there were evidently sad ones and hardly any who smiled. Such a fate hopefully would not befall any of my family members, now and ever.

5 comments:

norzah said...

Akhi Halimshah, I feel so touched by your most recent entry about the elderly and disisabled, especially since Tok Misai is your own Uncle. Syukur alhamdulillah, he is well taken care of at a private center and that you've found the time to pay a visit him - something that I'm sure these old folks look forward to very much whether they are aware of the visit or not.
No one knows how our own fate during old-age will be, especially if hit by an inability to move or remember - alzheimer. We'll just be too heavy a burden for the kids to take care of and the Center could do a better job, so long as we can pay for our keep. It's in this regard that we pray to Allah that we will have the means to support ourselves and not burden the kids too much.
Allah has said that we were born as babies, become adult, become old and then feeble and helpless like babies again. Only He knows who and how we'll be taken care of, if at all. Salam.

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
When you think of it, old age is not a bliss to be when in such a predicament. You have your 90 yr old dad and I have my 84 yr old mom-in-law with us.

Barely 5 yrs ago she was ok. She was staying alone in A Star independently by herself. She cooked and did her personal chores without bother.

To prevent anything untoward happening since she was alone, we brought her to KL to stay with us. She hardly had to do anything except self grooming and personal beribadat. You know what? It is bad if everything’s done for you, apparently.

She deteriorated fast especially the last 2 yrs. She forgets. She comes downstairs every so often for her meals forgetting she just had one . She repeats her questions. She denies that she threw banana peels under the bed. Things like that.

Dementia is so stressful not to the person but to those around them. There are worst cases, that I know where their toilet needs have to be done by others in the house or they get mired in their own filth. So far my MIL is ok on that score as she goes by herself for her toilet habits.

Why I’m saying all these is the realization that an idle mind will drive you bonkers into dementia very quickly. We have at least ‘diversions’ such as reading and blogging amongst others to keep the mind occupied to hopefully avoid dementia ( or at least to keep it at bay ) Potting around the flower pots is also thereupatic, it seems and also the leisurely morning walks or golf ( if strength permits)
I dread to think how that guy from Perlis could leave his own father at a bus-stop to fend for himself (the father related this incident when asked ‘how come he is an inmate at the old folks home!)

abdulhalimshah said...

Ya Akhi and Hank,
Actually what is happening to the elderly and disabled today must be urgently tackled by society and especially our elders in the rural areas. With rural-urban migration the old folks are left to fend on their own and I had personally seen how the old folks had been forgotten and neglected right to their last breath.
If this serious problem is not addressed now we are going for trouble because the statistics show that the ageing population is rising and even though the Govt had announced a policy with regard to the Geriatric population but much needs to be done and it has to be given priority as much as healthcare for the elderly and infirmed.
We do not know what our fate would be, but if we have to be sent to a place where professional care is better than being with our own loved ones, so be it. The realities are harsh but we have to accept them with grace because I want to leave this world at peace with myself and without rancour.

aofuad said...

OP Abdul Halim Shah,
I occasionally joked that to die is a blessing, but to grow old and not die and then subjected to these 'old' conditions can be a thing that we would want to avoid.
We cannot be certain that our children will truly and obligingly take care of us.
I too pray that death should be quick and fast, InsyaAllah.
But then again, Allah Taala has His ways and we are at His Mercy.
The future is not for us to tell.

Our only prayers is that our children has been educated enough, not to abandon us at our hour of needs.InsyaAllah

fish said...

Tuan Haji,
"...because I have the responsibility and duty to take care of him till his last days..."
Well said, truly a filial son!! I salute you!!

fish