Saturday, March 06, 2010

Oh What a Relief !

What a relief ! No it is not about the current spell due to El Nino where the temperatures around the country is way above the normal readings and drought is experienced especially in the northern part of the Peninsular.

On thursday 04 March I went to my bank in Section 14 Petaling Jaya to withdraw cash for my monthly expenses as I do not believe in using the automated machine although I am issued with the card. As usual I always wait for the branch to open because parking is at a premium there if you come when the doors to the main lobby are opened. Being the first customer, my number was called immediately and I went to the counter with Nasimah who accompanied me to withdraw some money too.

After completing the transaction Nasimah and I went to the Lembaga Zakat Selangor's office and then to the bookshop on the same row as the bank. Then we headed for home but along the way we decided to go to Kelana Mall in Kelana Jaya because Nasimah wanted to mend the broken arm on the frame of her multi-focal spectacles. After that we had something to eat at Atiqah Cafe at the mall and then only drove back home.

That afternoon we went to Kota Damansara to my sister-in-law's house and as I was having tea a received a call from the bank teller asking me about the morning's transaction. He politely asked me to check whether I received more money than what it should be and I answered him that as far as I could remember as I counted it in front of him, the amount was correct but I did raise a query why the money counter showed a higher number. Either I could not figure out his reply or he did not hear me properly and let it pass by. Anyway he asked me to double check once I got home. While driving home from Kota Damansara, another person from the bank called my hand phone and I asked Nasimah to reply and she said we are still on the way home.

I went straight to check the money once I was home and lo and behold, there was indeed an extra amount that I received from the teller that morning. So I called the bank and the lady was grateful and told me that the bank teller would come to collect the excess money after maghrib prayer. I waited till after Isha' prayer for Faizal to come and when he arrived with another friend, it was a face of great relief. Fortunately I have not spent a single sen yet and the amount could still be reconciled. Oh what a relief especially so for Faizal!

2 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Hal,
U did right. Honesty is an obligation. It is not a choice.

We've a no. of such occurrences in the bank. It is called 'cash shortage' for which the cashier has to make good from their own resources otherwise.

I remember one occasion when there was an overpayment of RM5000. It is easy to trace when the cashier 'balances' his figures at the end of the day, being a big amount n being a round figure.

Even then, the a/c holder refused to own up. After much haggling,and a payment of a 'compensation' demanded by the person, the money was returned.

Getting back the over-payment is not as smooth, not 'automatic' even if the cashier is positive of the person.

Different people will react differently, and that's life!

kaykuala aka Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

Dear Hank,
Thank you for the comment. I told the teller, when I was still at my sister-in-law's house, what is not rightfully mine I shall return it. As you rightly said, it's an obligation.