Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hj Amin Nordin, My Friend

Sunday 11 October 2009 was not only the D-day for the electorate of the state constituency N31 Bagan Pinang but also happened to be a two in one gathering of my ex-classmates of the HSC class of '64 in Seremban, hosted by Haji Mohamad Akbar Baba at his house in Jalan Padang Golf, Ampangan, Seremban. I left the house in Petaling Jaya together with my wife, Nasimah at 10.57 a.m. and followed the route to Seremban via the new Kajang-Seremban highway or LEKAS for short.

I arrived at 12 noon in Ampangan and as my car went up the steep slope after the entrance of Akbar's house, he was ready to guide me to a vacant lot to park my car. What a wonderful host, I thought and later on I profusely apologised to his wfe, Hajjah Azizan for almost knocking down her flower pot as I was reversing into the vacant lot.

As I joined the guests who came for the Hari Raya gathering at the table, I shook hands with Zam, Haron Siraj, Haron Awal, Mazni and Hamzah who arrived earlier than me. Of course Hamzah only had to drive from his house in Seremban 2, which is his weekend retreat, as his other house is in Tropicana Country club precint. Later we were joined by Zawawi Mahmuddin. He came with his wife.

Of course the food was simply mouth-watering beginning with the soup or "rebusan" which I remember vividly would be served at all "kenduri doa selamat"and Hari Rayas at my Kampong in Terachi, Kuala Pilah. But I started with the "lemang" and "rendang" which I liked better. The table conversation revolved round the current politics, especially the one related to Negeri Sembilan.

But what I want to write about is this friend and ex-classmate by the name of Haji Amin Nordin bin Haji Abdul Rahman. To me he is an enigma, and I could recall as clear as day that he was so talkative when we were hospitalised at the RMAF base hospital near Sungei Besi , that left me wondering whether he was sick or not. He told me that the doctor was going to extract a certain amount of fluid from his spine and he was wearing a funny type of spectacles which had a bluish tint. I could not remember what was the reason he was wearing that funny spectacles but he was as fit as a fiddle. Those who were close to him, nicknamed him Amin Jerry presumably after the comedian Jerry Lewis.When we entered University Malaya campus in Pantai Valley in 1965, he was a non-hostelite and he cycled to campus, and if I was not mistaken he was putting up with a relative in Kampong Datok Keramat. We graduated together in 1968 and he joined FELDA after I left to join the MCS. I learned that he did not stay there for long.

When we were in sixth form, he was known for his preoccupation with readings on Muhammad Iqbal works, the famous philosopher who was associated with the founding of the State of Pakistan. Mohamad Noor ( Gear ) and others liked to tease him and whenever he saw Amin, he would always say, " Here comes the fan of Iqbal, the philosopher and if you do not mind listening to his lecture on Iqbal, then you can talk to him for hours".Unfortunately Gear did not turn up for this Raya do at Akbar's house after confirming with Hamzah that he would come. Just a fortnight before Ramadhan, I received a photostat copy sent by Amin about the remarks or comments about his book being written in a Malay tabloid. Hamzah did mention that he would to get a set of the books that Amin wrote.

Amin however does not know the direction to Akbar's house and he went straight to the Seremban Railway Station following Hamzah's instructions to the letter and only then phoned Hamzah. Hamzah obligingly drove to the Station and led Amin to Gedong Lalang, Ampangan.While we were enjoying our food and at the same time getting into the mood for some serious discussion, I wittingly told those around the table that Amin's writings predict that the glory of Islamic civilisation would be emerging in our part of the world. Of course that only opened the floodgates for Amin and he went into a lenghty discourse.

Personally I admire Amin's guts for going into the realm of freelance journalism and that's probably his only source of income. I bought the books that he brought and now I am in the midst of reading them. Amin, I salute you for your steadfastness and convictions to write on what you believed in. Perhaps one day, your writings will be used as a reference point and what you foresee as to the future of Islamic civilisation in the twenty first century will materialise, InshaALLAH. I am sure then that if Cikgu Idris Tain is still alive, he would be very proud of you.

7 comments:

kaykuala said...

Hal,
Will text OP Amin if he surfs the 'Net. Otherwise I'll make a copy of yr posting n send it to him.I thought u took some snaps 2, did u?
Hank

abdulhalimshah said...

Hank,
Unfortunately my digital camera was out of order when I tried to snap a picture at the Raya do. My apology. Memang nasib tak menjadi bila nak ambik gambar masa tu.

kaykuala said...

Hal,
Never mind. Am sending out 2day hard copies thru snail mail ur postings 1) "Are we prepared.. n 2) Hj Amin.. together wth Zam's 2 latest postings which include "A.K.Bear 2 d following: Amin,Dolet,Bear,Shah,Kalidas,both Harons,Mazlang,Gear n Mazni. Hopefully it may prompt them 2 open their emails every day or start surfing if they hav not.

gentwo said...

Saya ada berjumpa Hj.Amin Nordin di Hospital Klang,tak sangka pula saya seorang penulis buku duduk bersebelah katil ayah saya (Alias Ibrahim).baru pertama kali saya berjumpa beliau macam dah lama kenal.Dalam keadaan batuk yang kuat,beliau dengan penuh semangat bercerita tentang buku-buku tulisan beliau,saya berasa kagum dengan kesungguhan beliau itu lalu terus menghulurkan saya 3 buku hasil penulisan beliau.

abdulhalimshah said...

Gentwo,
Terima kasih diatas komen Sdr. Sekarang sahabat saya tu sudah pindah keKlang, dan lama tak jumpa beliau. InshaALLAH satu hari akan bertemu juga bila ada perjumpaan kelas kami yang biasanya diadakan 2 tahun sekali.

Badrul 'boxer' Hisham said...

Dia jiran setaman saya. Selalu juga jumpa disurau. Nice gentleman.

abdulhalimshah said...

Badrul,
Kirim Salam saya pada nya. Sayang saya tidak dapat berserta untuk jamuan perjumpaan Class of '64 pada 28 Ogos ni kerana saya akan ke Kelantan.

Terima Kasih dan Wassalam.