Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ramadhan O Ramadhan

I remember vividly that as a child, I could not join to break the fast together with adults if I have not learnt to fast during Ramadhan. So it was to impress upon me that if you want to break the fast together, you must perform it.

So when the obvious reward is right in front in the form of delicious food, one is more or less persuaded not by religious obligation but more for the immediate gratification. But it's just another way of learning so to speak.

Now when I look back over my childhood days, the learning curve in understanding one's obligations can be short or long depending on the environment you grow up with. If the upbringing is strict and harsh, one can either be compliant for the sake of avoiding punishment or compliant but resentful. I suppose that's how people easily discard what they learnt when it does not come with persuasion and faith.

Another thing which I observe is that Ramadhan is more of a month of feasting rather than restraint, with the proliferation of Ramadhan bazaars and " Buka Puasa " advertisements by five star and lesser star hotels in cities like Kuala Lumpur. Well times have changed and so does the meaning and significance of Ramadhan.

4 comments:

CZZ said...

that is so true Uncle.. sad to see Muslims behave in such unbecoming fashion at Ramadhan buffets & sometimes the pasar too :(:(:( its not like you don't get to eat at all.. after all it is just a month..

aofuad said...

OP Halimshah,
Very true indeed.
We forgot our fundamentals.

Al-Manar said...

Being an old timer I enjoy reading what one reminisces. It does not only bring back old memories but the course taken by changes gives fruit for thought, something fr us to reflect upon and evaluate.Well done and selamat berpuasa.
Pakcik of Almanar

abdulhalimshah said...

Thank You Zaaba, OP Azudin and Pakcik Al-Manar for all your comments.
My purpose in observing the practice of Shaum is just to remind myself actually as whether the objective of self-examination has been achieved or otherwise. Being human we err, but as a Muslim we must remind each other of our obligations to ALLAH S.W.T.
Salam Ramadhan.